Serve IT accepts applications from 501(c)3 organizations on a rolling basis with client start periods generally coinciding with the beginning of the Spring and Fall semesters. Clients are accepted from all industries. Selected clients will undergo a needs assessment of current operations, will be assisted through the development of a strategic IT plan, and then a student intern team will help the organization work through that plan. There is currently no cost associated with participation in the program.
estimated costs saved by Serve IT clients
web-based projects completed
What we can help with
The clinic can provide a variety of technology services for your organization. Any services needed but not listed below can be evaluated and determined if it is within the clinic’s scope. Agencies can also apply for smaller pieces of projects such as a website redesign, ADA Compliance, security audits, or a request for designs that could then be taken to an agency to build.
Computer Donations and Tech Support
The Serve IT clinic has refurbished computers and accessories free for nonprofits. If your organization is in need of any computers, equipment or has any equipment they would like to donate, we can help. Serve IT can also assist with general on-site tech support within Monroe County.
How Clients are Chosen
Clients are chosen by our Advisory Council, based on 6 factors:
- Whether the organization meets or is presumed to meet the IRS definition of a charitable organization under section 501(c)(3)
- Whether the proposed project matches offerings and student ability
- Willingness of agency to work with students (being available, having tolerance for student learning gaps, etc)
- Degree to which agency mission supports the neediest members of our local community
- The relative stability of the organization
- The apparent need for the technology services provided
Clients must have one liaison staff member or volunteer who can devote time each week coordinating with the student team. That staff member should expect to spend on average 1-2 hours per week working with the team and should be empowered to make decisions on the services provided by the team. It is important to keep in mind that projects may extend past one semester depending on the scope.
Hear how the Serve IT clinic has made an impact on some of our past clients like Habitat for Humanity, Bloomington Playwrights Project, and Wildcare Inc!